We use cookies to make your experience of our website better. You can delete or block cookies, but some parts of this website won't work without them. By using this website you accept our use of cookies.

Comment Title Display Column & Comment Position Lock

Posted 23/09/2008 14:51 by Alastair Morriss

Last post 23/09/2008 14:51

1 reply

Further to PHA's suggestion "Show comment units in IXY, GXY", it may be useful to have an option to display a short field associated with internal .dat file comments - i.e. one that would be visible alongside the Label1, Unit and Sub Unit columns - perhaps a comment title with a limited character length.

I often use the comment units to split up blocks of hydraulic units by reach and enter a short description of what is represented by each block in the comments. Being able to quickly see something like "River XYZ Right Bank Spills" in the .dat file window could be handy on occasion.

Might it be possible to have something along the lines of an optional "Start New Reach" and "End New Reach" field entry command which would lock the position of the comments to associated nodes in the .dat file? If the commments fields were locked to georeferenced units at the start and end of each reach, it may be possible to display them in the visualisers as PHA suggested. Some type of positional locking system for comments may also ensure that further useful model audit information, e.g. survey details etc, is preserved in a useable location within the .dat file.

Sign in to vote

-
+4
+

DTM and Cross Section Import

Posted 13/09/2008 00:53 by garret@dalriadaltd.com

Last post 13/09/2008 00:53

1 reply

Prior to using ISIS Professional the software package I used for flood risk modelling enabled me to swiftly import surveyed cross sections directly from a csv or txt file. I could also build up a ground model from OS NextMap data (again in csv or txt format). It would be really useful if cross section and ground model data could be imported directly into the model from an Excel or txt file.

Presently I am having problems converting this data as I believe MapInfo + an add-on is required to convert the files to a format that ISIS will read.

If anyone has a workaround for this I would be grateful. We use a number of surveyors who generally provide us with data in XYZ format as a CSV file as this is how we've asked for it in the past.

Sign in to vote

-
+3
+

Gaugings for X-Y Plots

Posted 28/08/2008 12:31 by Alastair Morriss

No replies yet

It may be useful if the X-Y series plot included an option to add spot flow gaugings for rating calibration (currently the Add Series option is unavailable in X-Y plots).
P.S. Please enable X-Y plots from the visualiser.

Sign in to vote

-
+1
+

"Go to network chart" button for Schematic Visualiser

Posted 25/07/2008 09:48 by Chris

Last post 25/07/2008 09:48

1 reply

The "Go to network chart" button on the GIS Visualiser is really useful if you have to keep switching back and forth from the main network chart. It would be useful if this feature was also available for the Scematic Visualiser (IXY viewer).

Sign in to vote

-
+3
+

Show comment units in IXY, GXY

Posted 08/07/2008 15:36 by PHA

No replies yet

For some larger models, or those whose node ordering is not very helpful (like one exported from Infoworks for exapmle!) it can be that you spend most of you time working form the IXY or GXY viewer. The downside of this however is that one does not necessarily see the comments associated with a locale in the model. (If the comment is by the channel sections and you are looking at the bridge unit, you wouldn't necessarily see the comment even if you looked at the main data file window.)

To overcome this, the addition of comment icons to the IXY and GXY viewers would be very helpful.

To implement this would probably mean that comments will need a node lable equivilent (given the way a GXY works, but this could be auto generated by ISIS when each comment is created (and would probably require a utility to convert old comments so they work with this).

It may also be good if this was an optional thing per comment; some ISIS files come with a comment containing the survey data for each secion, and these might not need or want georeferencing to clutter up the viewer!

Sign in to vote

-
+4
+

Prompt reminder for ISIS free version

Posted 08/07/2008 14:32 by PHA

No replies yet

When using ISIS free, it would be helpful if a prompt was produced when trying to do something which will prevent you from saving or running the file (so when creating new units and surpassing the 200 limit, or when pressing ok to changes in a unit when editing a file with more than 200 nodes).

Such a dialogue box should have the option to carry on regardless (but you're now well aware that you can't save; useful for changing bank markers to view results for example) or to undo the last change (i.e. node addition) so that you can save what you'd already done.

It's a pain to start with 195 nodes, not realise and add another 20 and then find you can't do anything with it and the last half hour is wasted.

Sign in to vote

-
+7
+

Have a "set minimum" option in forms

Posted 08/07/2008 14:20 by PHA

Last post 08/07/2008 14:20

2 replies

When modelling historical (or indeed realtime) events, recorded flows may drop below what ISIS is capable of modelling. This requires the setting of minimum flows in the inflow data.
Currently the flow data has to be altered externally to ISIS. It would be much easier if there was an additional option within QTBDYs to impose a minimum flow (like there is in FEHBDYs for exapmple).

There may also be other instances where similar functionality would be useful, such as HTBDYs...

Sign in to vote

-
+5
+

Allow polyline measurement of distance in IXY, GXY viewers

Posted 08/07/2008 14:11 by PHA

No replies yet

It would be helpful if you could use polyline measurement of distance in the IXY and GXY viewers. This may be redundant once ISIS mapper is more widely used of course. (A few things to fix there first though perhaps.)

Sign in to vote

-
+5
+

.iic as a source of initial conditions?

Posted 08/07/2008 14:03 by PHA

Last post 08/07/2008 14:03

1 reply

Any reason why an .iic is not recognised as a source of initial conditions (when importing initial conditions into a data file)? It does let you use them, you just have to find them when viewing all files.
All is well in ifrf.exe, and it should be a relatively simple fix...

Sign in to vote

-
+4
+

x-Y plot comparisons

Posted 08/07/2008 14:01 by PHA

No replies yet

'twould be helpful if you could add x-y plot data from another run for comparison purposes.

Sign in to vote

-
+3
+

non-symetrical conduits

Posted 08/07/2008 13:59 by PHA

No replies yet

It'd be nice to have non-symetrical conduits...

I guess they'd need two sets of input data, one for the bed and one for the roof, presumably with start and end chainagees matching.

Sign in to vote

-
+2
+

ISIS project file

Posted 08/07/2008 13:43 by choudhuryf

No replies yet

One feature I miss in ISIS is a ISIS project file that contains links to DAT, ZZS, IIC, IEF and IED, IPF, CSV, ZZD and ZZL (ZZN) files related to a single project (for different scenarios and flood/rainfall return periods).

The main user interface will open this "project" file and user can add/use/edit files relevant to this project from a single interface. This file will contain links (relative paths to itself) to other files on the disk along with some description and logical hierarchy of scenarios->options->return periods->sensitivity run (may be in XML).

This is available in MDSF, but I think it will be useful in ISIS too (not all project uses MDSF). The main benefits are:

1. File management, audit, model review will be simpler (I always get confused when opening some one elses ISIS model folder or revisiting my own project after a gap. With so many IEF and IED and DAT files it is hard to identify which ones are up-to-date and which one are to be used.)

2. Defining and creating scenarios will be easier (base model + 100yr flood+all sluices open or option 1 + 100yr +climate change+one structure not working+another halh open can be defined by dragging and dropping relevant files or clicking tick box combinations)

3. The project file hierarchy can also be helpful in producing reports in a complex project. It can also help in communication if more than one modeller is involved.

4. Producing and comparing time series plots of all related results will be easier. At present, user needs to remember zzl file names and then select them manually for each cross sections. When you get names like xxx_100yr_FC_v3_PSR_v4_plus20_mius250mm_mill_sluice_half_closed.zzl then it can get really confusing

5. Copying, moving, archiving and cd burning will be easier. A save as button on the menu can potentially copy all related files (only the ones in use, not all files in a folder) onto another folder and recreate sub folder structure on destination.

6. If only relative file paths are stored on the project, then after copying/moving/archiving all the ief files will still run.

7. Final set of CSV results can also be stored with links to source result file, so in future more detailed results can be reviewed

Sign in to vote

-
+4
+

Zoom to selected

Posted 07/07/2008 09:01 by parkesa

Last post 07/07/2008 09:01

3 replies

I often find it difficult with large geo-referenced models to located nodes in the GXY visualiser. It would be great to have a simple "zoom to selection" button where the visualiser will zoom and centre on nodes selected in the network.

Sign in to vote

-
+14
+

ISIS interface in different languages

Posted 04/07/2008 14:54 by kv

No replies yet

It might be a good idea to see ISIS interface (including error messages that may pop up) into a foreign language (for example Spanish, French or Russian).

At the moment there are some . LAN files available in isis/bin folder, however they only work in translating ISIS Graph output (amend and rename your language file to "English.Lan"(!) and it translates various keywords in the output).

It may be good/useful to see whole interface translated in different languages not only the keywords in the ISIS Graph output.

Any ideas of usefulness of this feature and the comments about this are welcome.

Sign in to vote

-
+4
+

Multi-core version of ISIS

Posted 04/07/2008 13:02 by rob

Last post 04/07/2008 13:02

4 replies

Today's modern computers tend to have more than 1 processing core. I would like ISIS to make better use of multi-core processing to speed up ISIS model runs. This could be done either by parallelising the code (speed up a single model run) or by modifying the batch simulation interface to allow multiples runs to occur at the same time.

Sign in to vote

-
+19
+

Sign in to create or reply to forum posts.

Privacy & Terms

Copyright